The global packaged bread market is set to witness growth at a CAGR of 4.6% and top a valuation of US$ 66.5 Bn by 2032.
Bread packaging has not been quite same as before as consumers are looking for more shelf stable products without harsh packaging. When visitors of Green Week in Berlin were asked regarding this, almost 2/3rd of them responded to quit breads with low quality packaging.
However, German consumers prefer different kinds of bread in different packaging, such as frozen breads are preferred in cardboard boxes, while uncut loaves in shrink-wrapped, and sliced bread in plastic bags.
Since millennials, who prefer small portions of packaged bread, wrapped for immediate consumption, manufacturing units are incorporating new machineries to allow inexpensive products packaging without compromising the quality of packaged bread and launching packaging solutions where the product shelf life can be extended. Traditional or passive packaging only focused on protecting the bread from oxygen and molds by wrapping them with synthetic polymers and low gas permeability.
However, a new concept has developed recently, named intelligent packaging or active packaging, in which the packaging is done with functional materials which can interact with bread deliberately for monitoring and extending its shelf life. Nano-packaging is also being researched on by the front runners by using edible and biodegradable films to accomplish environmental requirements which can increase packaged bread shelf life up to 60 days.
Another recent technological development in the market is implementing 3D for exact sorting using Vision-system, an innovative 3D scanner, which can easily handle the image recognition issue on conveyor belts while bread packaging is going on, which can be missed out quite often in an automatic sort resulting into low-contrast unidentified objects and small crumbs in packaged bread which is undesirable.
Key Takeaways from Market Study
- The packaged bread market is worth of US$ 42.4 Bn sales in 2022.
- The packaged bread market is expected to expand at CAGR of 4.6% through 2032.
- Global packaged bread demand is projected to grow year-on-year (Y-o-Y) growth of 4.8% in 2022.
- The packaged bread market is growing with a notable boost towards the production to reach US$ 66.5 Bn by 2032.
- Easy availability raw materials, healthy packaging, and improved quality and taste to be the influencing factors among consumers, which is driving sales of packaged bread across global markets.
- Demand for packaged bread grew at 3.7% CAGR between 2017 and 2021.
- Associated British Foods Plc, DuPont™ Danisco, Fuji Baking Co. Ltd, Angel Bakeries, and Allied Bakeries (Kingsmill) are expected to be the top players in the industry.
- Organically packaged and sandwich bread are in heavy demand from bakery industry carrying a notable market share.
Read more of the latest industry developments in our new edition: January/February 2022 Single Issue form – International Bakery (in-bakery.com)