Premier Foods, parent company of Mr Kipling, has released its Q1 trading update, reporting an encouraging start with an increase of Group sales.
- Q1 Group sales up 6.3% versus two years ago – at top end of Group’s expectations, Branded sales up 9.3%
- As expected, sales versus prior year lapping exceptional circumstances of first lockdown
- Grocery excluding out of home channels up 13% compared to two years ago
- Strong International performance, building on successful prior year, up 17% on two year basis
- Sales from strategy of expanding into new categories already delivered over £6m in last 12 months
- Full year adjusted profit before tax now expected to be at top end of Group expectations
Alex Whitehouse, Chief Executive Officer of Premier Foods said: “We have made a very encouraging start to the year, with Quarter 1 sales at the top end of our expectations, as our brands again benefited from the introduction of new products and continued marketing investment. When compared to two years ago, our branded sales increased by over 9% with grocery brands up 12%, continuing the strong momentum of recent years. As expected, overall sales were down compared to the same quarter a year ago when we saw exceptionally high grocery volumes during the first national lockdown.”
“Sales online through our retailers e-commerce platforms remained at elevated levels and nearly twice that of two years ago, retaining most of the gains from last year. Branded Sweet Treats grew year on year, with Mr Kipling up 7.5%, benefiting from our range of low sugar options and the ongoing success of the premium Signature range. I’m very pleased by the progress of our healthier options ranges, such as Sharwood’s low fat cooking sauces, which have grown at over twice the rate of our branded portfolio, as consumers continue with their recently adopted good healthier eating habits. International also performed particularly well, building on the very strong gains from last year, growing by +17% on a two year basis, as we continue to build sustainable, profitable overseas businesses.”
“With our continued strong trading momentum and the substantially lower coupon of the new fixed rate notes at 3.5%, we now expect to deliver adjusted Profit Before Tax at the top end of our expectations for FY21/22.”
Image Credit: Premier Foods
To stay up to date on the latest, trends, innovations, people news and company updates within the global bakery market please register to receive our newsletter here.
Editor, International Bakery
Tel: +44 (0) 1622 823 922